Installing a new carpet from Dober Floors makes your home more beautiful and comfortable. It improves the aesthetic value of your home while reducing heating and cooling costs at the same time. For this reason, it is essential to protect your investment by following the tips below.
Vacuuming the carpet at least once every week ensures dirt and debris are not trapped in the carpet fibres. If the carpet lies in a space that is frequently used, let’s say by your kids, then you may need to vacuum it more often. Vacuuming your carpet frequently prolongs its life and enhances its appearance. The type of vacuum cleaner you use as well as how well you use it can make a big difference. Here are tips to ensure you maximise your routine vacuuming:
- After installing your carpet, vacuum lightly and frequently during the first week.
- After that, you can vacuum once every week but more frequently in areas with high foot traffic.
- Give five to seven passes for heavily soiled areas and three passes for light soiled areas.
- Use the highest setting to avoid damaging the ends of your carpet fibres.
- Ensure your vacuum has efficient airflow.
- Vacuum along the direction of the carpet pile to achieve a uniform finish.
Address Spills Immediately
Spillages require prompt attention because the longer a stain sits on your carpet, the harder it is to clean out. Attending to the stains, especially from hot liquids, ensures they do not penetrate the carpet fibre. The best way to remove the spill before it dries up is by blotting or scooping, and then adding some water and blotting with a towel. Scrubbing the carpet fibre should be avoided as much as possible. Stains that are difficult to remove can be eliminated using a stain remover, if necessary. However, it is worth noting that using spot removal chemicals on some carpets can cause pile distortion, loss of colour or permanent stain setting. So exercise extreme caution when using bleaches and other chemical products on your carpet.
Depending on the environment where the carpet is laid, it should be steam cleaned professionally at least once in every 12-18 months. If you do not know the right way to steam clean your carpet, consider hiring expert carpet cleaners in your area. Here are general guidelines on how to protect your carpet:
- Place doormats along exterior doorways.
- Protect the carpet with rugs in high traffic areas.
- Use blinds or curtains to protect your carpet from prolonged direct sunlight.
- Avoid walking on a wet carpet as it could quickly get damaged.
- Use carpet-cleaning shampoo according to its label instructions.
- Remove furniture dents by rubbing on the carpet surface to ensure the fibres are back up.
- Use chair pads and furniture coasters to minimise pressure on the carpet.
- Roll up your tufted carpet rather than folding it.
- Vacuum the carpet thoroughly after every cleaning treatment.